A Brief History Of BMW Manufacturing
In 1928, BMW took over the vehicle factory Eisenach A.G., the manufacturer of the small car Dixi , and became the automaker.
On March 22, 1929 BMW produced his first production car in Eisenach, Thuringia. The model was 3/15 PS or DA 2 and was an evolution of the model Dixi 3/15 DA, which in turn was a modified license building of the British Austin Seven.
The car was mounted in Berlin with a body supplied by Ambi-Budd, which resembled the also Austin-licensed Rosengart. 1932 followed the first “real” BMW of the BMW AM serieswith the designation AM1 (for “Automotive construction Munich Nr. 1”), d. H.
The first BMW-owned automobile design that was larger and more technically advanced compared to the BMW 3/15 (e.g. overhead valves, four-wheel brake, and front swing axle).
The first redesign under the BMW aegis was the 1933 presented 303 with 1.2 liter 6-cylinder engine, a construction by Fritz Fiedler (1899-1972).
As a result of the strong expansion of aviation engines from 1933, the car and motorcycle sector was almost a by-product. Nevertheless arrive with the new developments BMW 326 (1935), 327 (1937) and the 1936 presented sports roadster 328thattractive models.
Especially the 328 convinced not only by its construction, but also by numerous successes in sports car racing, including the Mille Miglia 1940th This model justified the reputation of best BMW cars parts reviews as a manufacturer of sporty automobiles, which remained in the memory after the war.
In Britain, the 328 was marketed as Frazer Nash BMW, Frazer Nash since 1934 as a BMW general importer for the British Empire functioned. The blueprints of the 326/327/328 series later served the development of the Bristol 400.
Until The End Of World War II
BMW 801, Share of BMW, 1942
After the seizure of power of the National Socialists BMW experienced a strong upswing by the war plans of Hitler.
While in mid-1933 there were still 8,357 people employed in the German aircraft and aircraft engine industry, by the end of 1938 the number of employees had grown to almost 180,000. BMW also participated in this upswing.
The conversion of the enterprise amounted to 32.5 million Reichsmark (RM) in the year 1933 and increased until 1939 to 280 million RM.
The aircraft engine construction at the 1934 newly founded subsidiary “BMW Flugmotorenbau GmbH” took place in the new BMW aircraft engine factory Allach GmbH (now MTU Aero Engines ) and theBMW Flugmotorenfabrik Eisenach GmbH ( Dürrerhof – dismantled after the war).
This contributed 1939 alone RM 190 millionto sales. With the takeover of the Brandenburgische Motorenwerke inBerlin-Spandau.
in 1939, which subsequently operated as BMW Flugmotorenwerke Brandenburg GmbH and the founding ofNiederbarnimer Flugmotorenwerke GmbH in 1941 with locations in Zühlsdorf and Basdorf, the Aero Engines business segment expanded to 90 percent of total revenue.
In 1944, some 750 million RM of sales were made by approximately 56,000 employees, around 50 percent of whom were forced earned laborer.